Sunday, February 26, 2012

Online Matches From Last Night



Play the video on the right to watch me play some pretty high level online competition in the premier fighting game Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3. I'm looking for a new team in UMvC3. I picked Dr.Strange when the game was released and stuck with since I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that could make him better. I tried everything I could to make him viable, and although I have won plenty of matches with him, he is surely the weakest link on my team with  Dr. Doom and Wesker.

I played Magneto in vanilla Marvel Vs Capcom 3,  but he's worse in this version so I'm not sure if I want to pick him, even though I currently do better with him than I do with Dr. Strange. Either way, Magneto's new moves do make him fun to play. Hit the jump to read more.


Magneto's gravitation moves, new to this game, give him a lot of new options, especially with select assists. Sentinel drones assist with gravitation forces the opponent to block the drones. This is especially good for characters like Trish and Zero who stay up in the air all day. I also figured out how to do the new ROM combo with Magneto, a combo that only uses hard punch and while it's very difficult, it can kill a character using only 1 meter. That's some effective meter management.


As much as I like playing Magneto, I might have to go with Zero as my new point character. Zero has new cancel-able moves off of his buster shot, making him even better than the last version. Zero's buster cancel into lightning make him viable without an assist, but man does he shine with something like hidden missiles assist. The hitbox on Zero's normals are very effective with this assist, unlike most characters who have a difficult time keeping combo's going with Doom's missile assist. Since Zero usually attacks from high above the screen, the missiles act as a pseudo shield for him, very useful since he's got such low life. Another problem is that he requires a lot of execution to be able to take advantage of his damage potential. I'm working on his lightning loop combo, but I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to go for online with the horrible lag.
 
Now that Street Fighter x Tekken is almost out, maybe I should just stick to Magneto since I'll probably be spending the majority of my time working on that game. Wow, only a week until another AAA fighting game comes out. Hopefully Capcom has figured out how to make these newer 3D fighting games feel like the 2D fighting game masterpieces they've made in the past. I've been disappointed by Capcom recently though, Street Fighter IV series and the Marvel 3 series just don't feel nearly as fun or satisfying as the older fighting games. Ricky Ortiz, top ranked player, did say that SFxT feels like the older fighting games, I just hope he's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment