Monday, February 6, 2012

The playability of new fighting games


I want to play them, but will these games last in the FGC?


As more and more fighting games get released, trying to score on the comeback of fighting games since SFIV reopened up the market, it gets hard to tell which ones I should practice and play competitively. For example, I hate Mortal Kombat. Ever since the beginning of the series, I thought it was a cheap way to try to make money off of the 2d fighting game. Controls are clunky, animations aren't fluid, and the selling point is the gore; not the actual mind game you and another player have. Of course you can make any video game competitive, so there are gonna be MK heads saying there was mind games in whatever MK iteration. But the designers have no idea what makes a good fighting game, they don't even know basic fighting game terminology, they just copy pasted what they saw in other games but added blood.

So, when MK9 came out with a huge $10,000 tournament to stir up competitive play, I was reluctant. I had many top players say the game was good, but this was still too early in my opinion to rate the game on a competitive level. After it seemed to be getting notoriety in the fighting game community,  I gamefly'd it, felt the clunkiness, weird hit-box animation, and the bad load times. I sent that shit back, don't care if people are playing it competitively, it plays too slow and jagged. As I continued to spread hate of MK9 I found that people started developing distaste for the game. The reason being, all the fucking patches. MK9 uses a system where the game patches its bugs and overpowered characters with ONLINE ONLY patches. Meaning if you go to a tournament and you can't plug in every console to XBL or PSN, you will have to play the un-patched version. On top of that, patches get released often enough to where you wouldn't want to learn a good character cause he or she is bound to get nerfed. The FGC (fighting game community) has since had problems with MK9 and it's dying in popularity as it should. This verify's that my decision to not play it was a smart one. I invested my time in other fighting games and if I had spend time on MK9, I most likely wouldn't have placed in the tournaments I've been at recently.

This brings me to my point of this post. What is the point of buying KOFXIII and Soul CaliburV if I think those games are going to die out after their initial popularity? KOF and SC are definitely better than MK, but is it worth the time to spend learning these games at a competitive level? Especially when the level of skill in UMVC3 and SFIV 2012 are getting higher, why waste time with games that haven't proven themselves worthy to be a long term fighting game? KOF has it's fan base, pretty much everywhere but US. I think the game looks great, and I've been fiendin' for a real 2d fighting game, but I just don't see the point in spending my time on something I don't think will last, KOF has always seemed to lose interest after 6 months or so. I hope it changes for KOF and SC, I hope they are played for years to come, but until then, I'll be workin on my UMVC3 Dr. Strange team.

What do you guys think about newer fighting games and their expected lifetime?

No comments:

Post a Comment